Monday 2 December 2013

Eggnog Crème Brûlée 蛋酒焦糖布丁

It is December and X'mas time is coming. My X'mas tree was up!!! Eggnog is available everywhere now. My older daughter love Eggnog. But she cannot finish the whole 1L Eggnog by herself in a week (before it expired). Therefore, I need to find some recipes that have Eggnog as main ingredient, and I can try tofinish it before it expired. First come to my mind is Crème Brûlée. So I search the recipe of  Eggnog Crème Brûlée  over the web. Here I got one!



Total Time: 1 hr 40 mins, plus 1 hr chilling time

(6 servings)

 Ingredients:

  • 8 cups water
  • 2/3 cup Best Eggnog (I use light)
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup whole milk (I did not use milk, I use all heavy cream. Using milk can reduced the fat but  I always love the creamy texture of this dessert, never mind)
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup granulated sugar ( I reduced sugar to 1/4 cup and substitute it with brown sugar)

 Directions:


  1. Heat the oven to 300°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Bring the water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over high heat; keep at a simmer.
  2. Combine the eggnog, cream, milk, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat (Pic 1). Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar (Pic 2) (I use 1/4 cup sugar and I use brown sugar the 2nd time I made this dessert again) in a medium bowl until pale yellow and thick, about 3 minutes.
  3. While whisking constantly, slowly pour the heated eggnog mixture into the yolks in a steady stream (Pic 3). Once combined, I pour it through a sieve to make sure the mixture is smooth (pic 4) and divide the mixture among 6 (4-ounce) ramekins (Pic 5) and place in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Pour the hot water between the ramekins until it reaches two-thirds of the way up the sides (you may not need all of the water). Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil (Pic 6) and poke a few holes in it with a skewer or knife to allow steam to escape.
  4. Bake until the centers of the custards are just set, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer the custards to a wire rack to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Cover the ramekins with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 1 hour.
  5. When ready to serve, heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the upper third. Place the custards on a baking sheet and sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of the remaining 1/4 cup sugar evenly over each. Place under the broiler until the sugar is caramelized and golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes—watch carefully to avoid burning. (Alternatively, you can use a kitchen torch.) (I use kitchen torch) Serve immediately.



Recipe source: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10785-eggnog-creme-brulee

No comments:

Post a Comment