Saturday 28 December 2013

Toasted Meringue Cake 火焰蛋白霜蛋糕

This year we have Christmas party on Christmas day! My friend Christy's birthday is on Dec 27 and I decided to make a cake to celebration with her during the party on Dec 25. I think it is good that I make a cake to serve both celebration purposes. Christmas and Birthday all in one. For the cake itself, you can use any kind of cake you want. Since I need to prepare at 38 people party at the same time, I chose to use cake mix. I chose Red Velvet cake as cake base. And I chose to make a toasted meringue covered cake. I use the following recipe to make my Toasted Swiss Meringue:

Swiss Meringue
Ingredients: (For my 8" cake, this amount is more than what I need)

1 cup egg whites ( I used pasteurized egg white bought in store)
2 cup sugar
pinch salt

Directions:
Whisk together the egg whites, sugar and salt in the bowl of your stand mixer. Rest the bowl over a pot of simmering water to form a double boiler. Scrape down the sides of the bowl so that all the sugar is off the sides of the bowl. Continue to stir the mixture until all the sugar is melted into the eggs and you no longer feel any graininess when rubbed between your fingers, about 3-5 minutes.
Place the bowl onto your mixer and whisk on high speed until the meringue is thick and glossy and the bowl is just warmer than room temperature, about 8 minutes.
Use spatula to apply thick layer of meringue to the cake. You can make the curl and spike by using a fork or by using hand. Then I use a kitchen or creme brulee torch to toast the meringue layer.

For the X'mas version cake, I decorated it with 
Strawberry Whipped Cream snowmen.

For my friend's birthday cake version, I use fondant to make her a high heel shoe. Her husband told me that her favorite high heel brand is Christian Louboutin.
It is hard to make and I think this high heel is a bit imperfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment