Monday 10 June 2013

Mango Coconut Cream Trifle


Trifle is a dessert dish made from thick (or often solidified) custard, fruit, sponge cake, fruit juice or jelly, and whipped cream. These ingredients are usually arranged in layers. (from Wiki).

Before our family will go back to Hong Kong for summer vacation this coming week, we attended our farewell BBQ dinner party at a friend's house. As usual, I am responsible for making dessert. Since I am very busy with another Birthday + wedding anniversary party at my place the day before, I can only make something simple or something that can prepared ahead of time. I chose Chai Milk Pudding (which I made 2 days before the party) and Mango Coconut Cream Trifle an hour before the party starts.

For Chai Milk Pudding, please refer to my earlier blog:
For trifles, you can actually add any fruits you like with custard and whipped cream. I chose to add coconut cream to whipped cream instead of putting extra layer of custard to it. It is to save time and steps. I don't have much time!!!
Recipe for Mango Coconut Cream Trifle:
Ingredients:
Ripe Mango x 7
Whipping cream 2 cups
Coconut Cream 1 can
Cake
Fine shreded coconut (bake until a bit brownish) optional 2 tbsp
Directions:
1. Use cake mix or your own recipe to prepare the cake. Allow to cool completely. Or you can make it ahead of time and keep it in refrigerator. I use left over cake pieces from the birthday cake that I made the day before. Cut into chunks.
2. Cut mangoes into small chunks. Set aside.
3. Whip whipping cream high speed until peak forms. Add coconut cream and whip for another 2 mintues. Set aside.
4 To assemble the trifle: Place bottom layer with one layer of cake chunks. Apply 1/3 of whipped coconut cream on top of cake pieces. Apply a single layer of Mango pieces on top of whipped coconut cream.
5. Repeat step 4 again. Then apply final top layer with remaining whipped coconut cream. I sprinkle some fine shreded coconut on top as well (optional).
A closer look!

No comments:

Post a Comment