Thursday 21 February 2013

Japanese style Seared Ahi Tuna



Today I went to US costco for our monthly big grocery shopping. We found this fresh Ahi Tuna.
We bought a pack of Ahi Tuna steak weigh 1.10lbs for $14.29. Not bad at all. It costs a lot more if I buy from Granville Island.


I originally want to seared it with black and white sesame. But I found out I don't have any black sesame at home. I got Japanese chilli pepper powder mix 七味紛 and white sesame at home. Therefore, I decided to cook it in Japanese way!

Ingredients:
Japanese red pepper powder mix  七味紛
ground coriander seed (to add lemon flavour)
Salt
Roasted Black and white sesame
some soya sauce

Sauce: Ponzu sauce with minced ginger or wasabi

For one steak (1/2 lbs). I use around 1/2 tsp (for 2 sides, that means 1/4 tsp for one side) of red pepper powder (you can decrease the amount if you don't want it too spicy), 1 tsp salt (for 2 sides), 2 tbsp (for 2 sides) white sesame (you can add black sesame if you have some) and 1 tsp (for 2 sides) ground coriander seed powder. Mix them well and place on a plate. Put steak on the powder mix and press the steak until it coated with the powder mix. Do it on both side.

Heat pan with oil. In medium heat, seared Ahi tuna. Around 1 minute for each side. If you don't want to be very raw, seared it in long time.

When serving, cut in thin slices. Pour some soya sauce over the Ahi tuna steak. Minced some ginger and mix with some Ponzu sauce. You can either serve it with wasabi or ponzu sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment