Monday 21 May 2012

Hong Kong Cafe style 3D noodle cake 港式茶餐廳公仔麵蛋糕

May is my husband birthday month! This year, he turns 40. We need a big celebration for him this year! On the weekend before his actual birthday, we are going to invite some friends over to have BBQ party! We will have some BBQ wings, sausages and big squid! I will prepare a seafood platter. And we will order some sushi take out! Along with this, I will of course make him a birthday cake! My husband is on diet now so he did not eat HK cafe style noodle for a long time (especially 公仔麵)! Therefore, I want to make a cake related to food and I chose HK style noodle cake. 公仔麵 noodle+火腿ham+雙蛋double eggs+腸sausage+friend fish ball 炸魚蛋. I need a week to prepare his cake (of course part-time). Here is my journal of making this cake:


Total hours spent on making this cake is 6 hours in total! No wonder you need to spent >$100 for a basic "3D" cake. I guess the total cost of ingredients is only $10 dollars. But the amount of time to make this kind of cake is huge! time=$$


Party day (deadline) May 20 Sunday
Monday: Start googling on noodle cake image. On the internet, I found mainly Japanese Ramen Noodle cake.

Tuesday: Start to brainstorm what kind of noodle, sides, shape of bowl, colour etc.Also what kind of cake base. Thinking thinking thinking day. And I need to think of how to make the noodles that looks like real noodles by using fondant.

Wednesday: Start to buy ingredients that I don't have at home for making this cake. For fondant, I need to buy Marshmallow and icing sugar.  I got butter, eggs, flour, and mango puree at home for making the cake base. No need to worry about the case base. I am going to make normal cake with Mango Buttercream frosting. For noodles, I finally find out a way to make perfect noodle. It is to use a pasta machine to make noodle. So I go get a cheap manual pasta machine. Now I can make fresh pasta at home too!! At night, I prepared marshmallow fondant. It only takes 15 minutes to work on that. No big deal.    (Total time spent today: 15mins)


Different colour fondant

Thursday: Today is hand and wrist exercising day. Today I  start to colour the fondant with food colour for making bowl (green), egg (white and golden yellow), ham (dark pink), sausage (brown with red), chosticks (light brown), friend fish ball (light brown yellow) and noodle (light yellow). This takes me around 2 hours to do all the colour mixing. It is hard to mix colour to make it looks real. I am going to make a 7" 2 layers cake and the bowl will going to look like the one in picture on the right. (Total time spent today: 2 hours)

Do they look real? They are all edible. Except the wooden chopsticks (the pair on top) placed there for comparing.

Friday: Fun day! Modelling time! Like playing with clay model, and of course this is even more fun because I am modelling something that are all edible. Today I spent around 1 hours 45mins in the morning on making fondant ham, eggs, sausage, fish ball and noodle! And chopsticks too!I tried to place the 7" baking ring there to try to place food together. And this is the draft that the top of noodle cake will look like. After lunch and picked up the kids, I am going to bake the cake. The cake was ready and made in 45 mins. Things are all set to start making the cake tomorrow! (Total time spent today: 2 hrs 15 mins)









Saturday: Cake making day! In morning, I start making mango buttercream. Then I will need to prepare making the fondant bowl on the cake. I will need to let the bowl fondant to harden before putting all the other things on top. So it is better to do it in morning. (Total time spent today: 1 hr)
















Basic yellow cake with Mango Buttercream frosting
CAKE FINISHED!
Sunday: Final touch up. Add words and name to cake.Party day! (Total time spent: 30min)

Well, the cake looks good but it tastes extremely sweet (for all adults). But of course of kids love it!






  

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, look at all the fondant noodle. So real. great idea to use the spagetti machine. really great cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used most of my time to think how to make the noodle look alike. Took me a while to figure that out! Now I can make fresh pasta at home too!

      Delete