Tuesday 26 May 2020

Japanese Fluffy Pancake (Soufflé Pancake) 日式梳乎厘班戟

Japanese Fluffy Pancake is my favourite dessert in all time. I had Fluffy pancakes in a few places in Hong Kong and Vancouver. I can say different restaurants have different pancakes texture. Some have cake-like texture and some are more airy. I like more airy one. In most cases, there is a wait for at least half an hour in store because this dessert cannot make ahead of time. It has to serve fresh. The cooking time will also need to to take around 15 minutes, but it worth the wait.

The cost of this dessert is extremely low, but it costs a lot more when you have it in store. It cannot pre-make or cannot make by machine. It is all about labour cost. So I decided to make it on my own. I used a few different kind of recipes before but this one turns out the best according to my preference. I will say you will need to try a few times to get the consistency of the texture. I use an electric skillet to make the pancakes and it turns out well.



Ingredients:
Egg yolk 2 Milk 10ml Yogurt 10ml (I substitute with Japanese Mayo) Cake flour 25g Baking powder (optional) 1g Egg White 2 Icing Sugar 20g
Lemon juice few drops (I substitute with 1 tsp Cream of Tartar)

Directions:
1. Separate Egg yolks and Egg whites. Keep egg white in fridge until use.
2. Add milk and yogurt(Mayo) to egg yolk. Beat and mix well, sift in Cake flour and mix well
3. Whisk egg white in separate bowl until foamy, add half the icing sugar and lemon juice (or I use cream of tartar), continue whisking, add the remaining half icing sugar and whick until hard peak form
4. Add 1/3 of the meringue to egg yolk mixture from Step (2). Use a egg whisker to stir gently. Add another 1/3 of the meringue to egg mixture and stir gently. Add the remaining meringue and stir well.

5. Pour the batter in a piping bag.

6. Coat heating pan with oil. Pipe the batter to pan in thick layer form. About 2-3 inches high.Add one Tbsp of water to the pan. Cover and cook in low temperature for 4 minutes.



7. Take off lid, flip it over, cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes.




Video and recipe adapted from: https://youtu.be/ou9zudMHw6A


No comments:

Post a Comment