Sunday 13 January 2013

Tangled Rapunzel Cake with Royal Icing crown + Cookies

Another birthday cake order for a beautiful girl Nicole (my friend's daughter). She is going to be 4 this year and this is her first birthday party that invited around 25 little friends of her. Her mom said she likes the movie Tangled and princess Rapunzel. I know this movie but I did not watch it before. During my research, I googled Tangled and Rapunzel. I picked a few little things that I decided to put on the cake. Long hair, princess crown and the chameleon (lizard). Beside the cake, I also need to make 25 'Thank You' cookie pops. I got crown cookie cutter. Therefore, I will make crown cookies pop with royal icing decoration on them. I will make royal icing by pasteurized egg white. The royal icing can also use to make make the princess crown. I learned that from internet. That is my first time and I had fun making the royal icing crown! I even make a spare crown in case the real one broke.

10in 2 layered yellow cake base with 5.5in 2 layered yellow cake top.
I made the Rapunzel hair by using a pasta maker machine.




Royal Icing crown recipe:
(makes 3 cups)
2 large (60g) pasteurized egg white
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 cups (330g) icing sugar, sifted

Direction
In a bowl, beat egg whites with lemon juice until combined. Add the sifted icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth. If icing is too thick, add a little water. If icing is too runny, add some icing sugar until the right consistency.

You can add food colour to icing now or apply colour with airbrush later.

Tips: The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when exposed to air. Cover with plastic wrap when not in use.





  1. Download crown template from internet and cut it out.
  2. Outline the border with dark pen
  3. Tape the template to a big container
  4. Cover template with 2 layers of wax paper
  5. Pipe icing along the outline that you drafted. Let the first layer dry. Then apply the 2nd layer. I applied 4-5 layers to make it thicker and harder.
  6. I paint the crown by using gold airbrush colour. Or you may use colour icing on step 5.
  7. I apply icing pearl to the crown by gluing it with leftover royal icing
  8. After the crown fully dried. Take the wax paper off from container. Carefully peel wax paper off from icing crown. Keep leftover icing. If the crown broke. You can fix it by gluing them back to shape by leftover icing.


These are the 'thank you' cookies that I made with the same colour theme with the cake. I used purple fondant for the crown and pipe the words and border with royal icing. Finally I add some icing silver dots for the tips of the crown.

All cookies are individually wrap for better handling and presentation.




No comments:

Post a Comment